This can be carried out on any day of the week but Sunday works best for most people. Set aside 3-4 hours to get this completed.
Make a menu
Work out a menu for the week of nutritious meals.
- Each meal should contain plenty of vegetables and some lean protein
- Stick to unprocessed whole foods
- You want to choose meals that can be cooked in big portions
- Keep it reasonably simple, you don't want to waste the day trying to perfect complicated meals
A sample menu would look like:
Breakfast: Vegetable Frittata
Lunch: Leek, potato, cauliflower and broccoli soup
Dinner: Chilli Con Carne
*Click on the meal links for recipes*
From the menu you work out your shopping list.
Tin of tomatoes
Bananas, apples, oranges, berries,
herbs and spices(cumin, coriander, chilli)
NB: Do your shopping and stick to what is on your list
This is where your multitasking skills come into play. You want to try and get a couple of meals going at once moving form one to the other.
- Have a tidy kitchen before you start
- Get your tools ready: knives, pots, chopping boards, weighing scales
- Prepare the veg for all the dishes together. i.e.: if you need a chopped onion for all dishes, chop 3 onions at once
- Start the slowest to cook dishes first
- Be as efficient with your time as possible. It really shouldn't take you much longer to cook all the dishes together, then just one dish by itself
- Make sure you have enough good containers to freeze/store the food once it is prepared
Try and enjoy the Sunday Ritual as much as you can. This way you will be more inclined to stick with the habit:
- Rope in a friend or family member to help
- Make an event out of shopping by going somewhere nice to do it like the market
- Put on some good music or listen to a podcast when cooking
- Have a nice cold beer or glass of wine as you cook
- Experiment with some new recipes
Well, I think its time to learn. A trained monkey could cook some of those recipes I have listed above. Everyone should have at least 3 or 4 good meals they can cook. I will post more easy recipes on the Recipes page as time goes by. Google is your friend when it comes to finding easy recipes.
If you have any questions, comments or recipe ideas write them below.